Sunday, April 02, 2006

Rafting at Rishikesh

When it comes of exquisite entertainment and blissful enjoyment, Himalayan exploration beckons you. True to its word, our trip to Rishikesh was quite memorable and will be cherished throughout our life. With Beryl accompanying me and half-a-dozen foreigners with us, the trip was wonderful.

While thousands flock to Haridwar and Rishikesh for a religious ‘fix’ with a dip in the Ganga, White Water River Rafting on the Ganges is a different high altogether. The swirling and foaming rapids had succeeded where innumerable temples and clanging bells had failed. They brought me face to face with God, I think the entire Indian pantheon of 33 crore deities had flashed before my eyes. It is no surprise that many adventure seekers flock like migratory birds each season to get their dose of thrill. The ‘holy’ river is very popular for this adventure sport.

It all started on Friday morning at 8.30 pm. The Raft company took us in a SUMO to a starting point at least 12 kilometers away from Ram Jhula where we were staying. We were given Life Jackets, Helmets and of course safety briefings as to how to overcome fear of water and how not to become 'panic' in case of a 'fall'. I was assigned to take up Forward Position along with my German friend 'France'. He is a wonderful gentleman full of wisdom. Another English woman from UK, Fiona was assigned Middle position. Beryl was assigned a task of a Captain and was responsible for tightening the ropes. After initial warm-ups, we started our journey.

When we encountered the first rapid, our instructor started shouting 'Come on team, all forward', 'Forward Team, Forward.' But it was easier said than done. "Yaaah…….!," the full-blooded war cry was of no use in our herculean effort to paddle forward but it did help in squashing the butterflies in my stomach. There was no turning back from the ‘great wall of water’ in front of us and we braced ourselves as the swirling rapid buffeted the raft.

"Ram, you have finally lost it," a voice kept screaming in my mind as we climbed the wave at a precarious degree tilt - up, up.. and then down with a bang. Within minutes it was all over as I heard the command, "relax team". Flushed with excitement, adrenaline pumping through my veins, I joined the rest as they raised their paddles and slapped them flat on the water. The rapid we had negotiated merited its name, ‘Roller Coaster.’ It was a joy ride of a lifetime and I was hooked. The lure of life, one with nature and of high adventure seduced me despite my brief two-day sojourn. Thirsting for action I got more than I bargained for on the ten different rapids on the river.

"Okay folks this is your chance to body surf. Just hang on to your life jackets and float with your legs pointing downstream and your heads above water to watch out for the rocks," announced our instructor. At first I thought he was joking. He must be crazy to think of jumping in the freezing water. But then I thought to myself, "What the hell, it’s now or never" and jumped overboard.

As I went under, I felt the cold water biting into my flesh . But as I resurfaced to stare at the sun, a feeling of exhilaration swept over me. Floating downstream in the pristine waters of the Ganges was really worth enjoying. It really was a wonderful experience - when you don't know swimming - to float on the Holy Ganges which was so deep. Everything seemed to slow down as I got enveloped in a cloud of tranquility. The body seemed to be suspended in time and space.

Finally we reached the end point at Ram Jhula. The five hour journey was quite thrilling, exhilarating and memorable. Though there were other teams which managed to complete the stretch within 3 hours, we took our time to watch/admire the nature's bounty on both sides of the river. As our fellow traveller - German Friend- noted, 'Our aim was not for reaching (the end-point) but Journeying'.



1 comment:

Dee Spake Trash Anyway... said...

wow this post brot back memories of my own trip to rishikesh.. a very vivid desciption i must say!